- Senators say debt collection proposal puts industry ahead of consumers. More than 20 U.S. Senators are calling on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to reconsider a proposal that would allow debt collectors to send unlimited texts and emails to consumers, as well as call
- A storm is brewing over big tech. Google and Amazon have thrived as American regulators largely kept their distance. That may be changing. Politicians on the right and left are decrying the tech companies’ enormous power. President Trump and other Republicans
- Mired In medical debt? Federal rule changes proposed for bill collectors. This month, the CFPB proposed a rule to frame what debt collectors are allowed to do when pursuing many types of overdue bills. The proposed rule specifies that debt collectors can make no more than
- Do you know who your iPhone is talking to?. Apple says, “What happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone.” But a Washington Post privacy experiment showed 5,400 hidden app trackers guzzled our data—and many shared them—in a
- How to limit iPhone app tracking. Apps tracking your activity—even while you sleep—is a pervasive practice, including on Apple’s iPhone. What can you do to limit some of it?
- Americans deserve a 'right to be forgotten'. Americans today have very little control over how they are represented online. Faceless algorithms make that decision about you—and if what shows up in your search results happens to be wrong or misleading,
- All the ways Google tracks you—and how to stop it. You're probably aware that Google keeps tabs on what you're up to on its devices, apps, and services—but you might not realize just how far its tracking reach extends, into the
- The internet security apocalypse you probably missed. Last week was an online security nightmare and few people noticed. Here’s what you need to know.
- Does your car need to know when you gain weight?. Cars produced today are essentially smartphones with wheels. For drivers, this has meant many new features: automatic braking, turn-by-turn directions, infotainment. But for all the things we’re getting out of our connected vehicles,
- Is revenge porn protected by the Constitution?. Revenge porn—criminal cyberoffenses, engendered by emerging technology—enable abusers to threaten, harass and coerce their victims. Appeals courts are beginning to take up cases involving the constitutionality of “revenge
- FCC wants phone companies to start blocking robocalls by default. The Federal Communications Commission is proposing to push phone companies to "block unwanted calls to their customers by default." This would be a major change from now, when customers typically need to opt
- How to fix mistakes on your credit report that could cost thousands. Complaints about credit reporting, credit repair services and issues such as errors on individual consumer credit reports made up 43% of all the complaints made to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, according to an
- 5 things that changed for consumers since Trump became president. Every president brings change. Laws change. Regulations change. The direction of the country changes. That’s what happens. But drop your political lens for a moment. Think consumer protection. What happens if you&rsquo
- Utilizan smartphones para detectar infecciones de oído. Investigadores han encontrado la manera para que un smartphone “escuche” señales de posibles infecciones de oído, la acumulación de fluidos detrás del tímpano,
- Facebook limita transmisiones en vivo y EEUU se ausenta de acuerdo contra odio en redes. Facebook anunció el miércoles medidas para bloquear temporalmente a usuarios que rompan sus reglas de transmisión de video en vivo, luego de la indignación internacional que causó
- Intel con falla de seguridad que podría afectar a millones. Intel reveló otra falla de seguridad en hardware que podría afectar a millones de máquinas en diversas partes del mundo, informó el martes la compañía.
- Vulnerabilidad de WhatsApp permitió hackear celulares. Spyware creado por un sofisticado grupo de hackers a sueldo aprovechó una vulnerabilidad en el popular programa WhatsApp para entrar subrepticiamente en docenas de celulares sin necesidad alguna de la interacción del
- Post your credit bureau complaint and likely get a response. In fact, if you’ve tried to get a credit bureau to remove erroneous information without any progress, try submitting your complaint here: consumerfinance.gov/complaint. And, what do you know? Having
- Amazon invita a su personal a renunciar y repartir paquetes. Amazon ha hecho una propuesta a sus empleados: Dejen su trabajo y les ayudaremos a abrir un negocio repartiendo mercancías de Amazon.
- Corte Suprema da luz verde a demanda contra Apple por apps. Una Corte Suprema dividida falló el lunes que un grupo de consumidores puede seguir adelante con una demanda antimonopolio que estipula que Apple ha acaparado injustamente el mercado de ventas de aplicaciones para iPhone.